Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the 2023 French Open due to the same knee injury which ruled him out of January’s Australian Open.
Kyrgios underwent surgery in January for the injury, and missed all three ATP 1000 clay-court events in the lead-up to his Rolland Garros withdrawal.
His agent Daniel Horsfall had said earlier on Tuesday: “It’s not looking likely. We are trying everything we can to have Nick ready on court as soon as possible,” before the news was confirmed that he had withdrawn from the entry list.
Despite a tough relationship with clay in his career, many believed Kyrgios would play at the French Open this year as he promised he would play the tournament for his girlfriend last year: “Next year I am going to go to Paris. I’m announcing that now, I’m going to the French Open,” he said during an appearance in Houston last year – which in itself was his first clay event since 2017.
He added: “I haven’t played that in four years so I’ll be back next year. My girlfriend just wants to see Paris. I mean, I’ll play the French Open as well.” Kyrgios also confirmed his plans again during December’s Diriyah Tennis Cup but has now withdrawn from the clay-court Major.”