Premier League title race: The fixture run-in analysed

Daily News
9 Min Read
Premier League title race: The fixture run-in analysed

The Premier League title race is heading to the wire – but how do Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool’s run-ins compare?

Arsenal retained their place at the Premier League summit after beating Bournemouth 3-0, before Manchester City kept pace with a 5-1 win over Wolves.

Liverpool will bid to keep their slim title hopes alive at home to Tottenham on Sky Sports’ Super Sunday, when anything but a win will officially end their challenge.

Crucially, Pep Guardiola’s Man City have one game in hand over their rivals, but it’s a tricky tie at Tottenham on May 14, live on Sky Sports – just five days before the final day.

GRAPHIC

Arsenal

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Highlights from Arsenal’s win against Bournemouth in the Premier League

League position: 1st
Points: 83
Goal difference: +60
Games remaining: 2
Average position of opponent: 11

Reverse fixtures: 6 points

Arsenal 3-1 Man Utd
Everton 0-1 Arsenal

Live on Sky

Manchester United vs Arsenal, May 12, 4.30pm

Sunday 12th May 3:30pm Kick off 4:30pm

Sky Sports Premier League HD Sky Sports Premier League HD

GARY NEVILLE’S VERDICT

“It’s a far better Arsenal team than last season, a far bigger mentality, a stronger mentality.

“People will point towards William Saliba [returning] and I will as well, but it’s more than that.

“There is a focus and discipline and attention to detail on the pitch in their defensive work. They maybe had a bit of a wobble, the Villa game and obviously in the Champions League, but that can happen.

“They’ve got back on the bike and demonstrated that they have moved forward as a club, moved forward as a coaching team, moved forward as a group of players and are nowhere near the position they were in last season.

“I think they will achieve a 100 per cent record. The one doubt is the Old Trafford game. It will all depend for me on how City do in the next week or two as well.”

Man City

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights from the Premier League as Manchester City faced Wolves at the Etihad Stadium

League position: 2nd
Points: 82
Goal difference: +54
Games remaining: 3
Average position of opponent: 8.67

Reverse fixtures: 7 points

Man City 5-1 Fulham
Man City 3-3 Tottenham
West Ham 1-3 Man City

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

City only managed a draw against Spurs last time out in the Premier League

Live on Sky

Tottenham vs Manchester City, May 14, 8pm

ROY KEANE’S VERDICT

“It’s the same old story with City, even when they are not at their best. They know how to win football matches, they have good options off the bench, and they have got into a really good habit of winning matches in recent years.”

Liverpool

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Highlights from the Premier League clash between West Ham and Liverpool

League position: 3rd
Points: 75
Goal difference: +41
Games remaining: 3
Average position of opponent: 6.7

Reverse fixtures: 6 points

Tottenham 2-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa
Wolves 1-3 Liverpool

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Highlights from Tottenham’s win against Liverpool in the Premier League

Live on Sky

Liverpool vs Tottenham, May 5, 4.30pm
Aston Villa vs Liverpool, May 13, 8pm

Sunday 5th May 4:00pm Kick off 4:30pm

Sky Sports Premier League HD Sky Sports Premier League HD

Monday 13th May 6:30pm Kick off 8:00pm

Sky Sports Premier League HD Sky Sports Premier League HD

CHARLOTTE MARSH’S VERDICT

“One win in five Premier League games leaves Liverpool needing luck and a large dose of improbability to see them lift that famous trophy come May 19.

“It all lies in checks and balances – will Arsenal and Man City drop enough points in their remaining games for Liverpool to overtake them? And could the Reds win their final three matches?

“At the moment, those scales are leaving Liverpool looking up rather than down and nothing is in their hands.

“The players have chosen the wrong time to go through a blip. It’s not the exciting, free-flowing Liverpool we’re used to. The usually-reliable Mohamed Salah was relegated to the bench – and had a mysterious touchline argument with Jurgen Klopp, suggesting that all may not be well.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Gary Neville believes Liverpool talisman Mo Salah has ‘hit a brick wall’ at the club, and says it was unpleasant to see his sideline spat with manager Jurgen Klopp

“At the other end, both of West Ham’s goals came from unmarked headers, following on from similar goals conceded against Everton in midweek too.

“Looking back, the Merseyside derby and now the draw at the London Stadium will likely be pinpointed as where Liverpool lost their way.

“But Jurgen Klopp remained unfazed by any talk of a title collapse – ‘I don’t think about it,’ he nonchalantly replied in his post-match press conference.

“And while that is true of Klopp, it will certainly be on the minds of three sets of fans with almost as many games to go. For now though, Liverpool must sit back, watch and wait, knowing that their title hopes are likely over for another season.”

Overall

Monterosa This content is provided by Monterosa, which may be using cookies and other technologies. To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies. You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Monterosa cookies or to allow those cookies just once. You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options. Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Monterosa cookies. To view this content you can use the button below to allow Monterosa cookies for this session only.

Manchester City will claim an unprecedented fourth successive title if they win all of their three remaining games, but Guardiola’s side face a tricky away day at Spurs on May 14.

Additionally, City also face Fulham and West Ham – all of whom typically sit deeper and possess counter-attacking threats that could breach their high line.

On paper, Arsenal have the easiest run-in with the average position of upcoming opponents ranking around mid-table at 11 – compared with Liverpool’s (6.3) and City’s (8.67) remaining schedule.

Predicted table

Manchester City are favourites to win the title with a 65.2 per cent chance, followed by Arsenal (34.8 per cent) and Liverpool (0.1 per cent) – according to Opta’s supercomputer.

Datawrapper This content is provided by Datawrapper, which may be using cookies and other technologies. To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies. You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Datawrapper cookies or to allow those cookies just once. You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options. Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Datawrapper cookies. To view this content you can use the button below to allow Datawrapper cookies for this session only.

Share This Article
Leave a comment